Monday, June 7, 2010

catching up...

I feel like it has been forever since I posted anything, but I guess it was only a few days ago. Maybe it seems like a long time because I copy and pasted most of the last post! ;)

A lot has happened in the last few days and I will attempt to fill you in on it.

Last Monday (Memorial Day) I had a headache that wouldn't go away, we called the Labor and Delivery floor of the hospital I was planning on delivering at and they gave me some suggestions and then said if I still had it after an hour to go ahead and come in for monitoring. I should mention that the headache that doesn't go away is a sign of preeclampsia. So after a while it was still there and I was getting dizzy so Justin said we are going to the hospital. So we headed up there and were put on the monitors for a few hours. My blood pressure readings were high and kept going up, which was frustrating. I was having contractions (although I only felt one, they said I had 7 in an hour). They gave me some medicine to stop the contractions and some medicine for the headache and sent me home with instructions to follow up with my doctor.

This brings me to Tuesday! I still had the headache, which was frustrating in and of it self, but to top it off I didn't feel like I could drive myself to the doctor, so Justin had to take off work to drive me. Once there the doctor expressed her concern about the nurses at the hospital we had chosen and asked if we would be interested in changing where we deliver. So we said yes. She then had us go to the new hospital to be monitored for a while to make sure things were going better than the night before and to hopefully help with the headache.

It turns out I was dehydrated. So they put me on an IV to get me hydrated and they gave me medicine for the headache (different from the stuff I got the night before). This seemed to work and after a few hours we headed home.

All was good until Saturday afternoon. I guess I should mention that Saturday morning was busy for me. I had a baby shower to attend for a friend and then a birthday party for our friends daughter. At the shower I thought I might have felt a couple of contractions, but didn't think too much about it. I headed home to get Justin and Ian and we headed to the park. I made sure to bring a lot of water with me and drank it too. It was hot, but we were in the shade of a gazebo for most of the time.

This brings me to later that afternoon. About 3 o'clock I started having contractions. I decided to write them down so that I could track them in case they continued. After about 30 minutes of these extremely painful contractions I took some Tylenol. It took about 30 minutes before that set in and I was able to rest for a while. Since the contractions had stopped we decided not to call the doctor. However, about 8pm they started back and after having 5 we called the doctor. Thankfully my doctor was the one who called me back, and she said she wanted me to go be monitored at the hospital.

Ok, to make a long story even longer...Ian was in bed so we got him up and my parents met us at the hospital to take him to their house, since we weren't sure how long we would be there. We ended up being there for about 3 1/2 hours. They again gave me medicine to stop the contractions (even though they weren't picking any up on their monitor, I guess the belt has to be in the perfect spot). They also did an exam to make sure there were not any other signs of pre-term labor. That turned out good, nothing else showed that I was going into labor. So they sent me home and said that if I had more than 4 contractions in an hour that I needed to come up (since I am only 32 weeks).

Justin and I made the choice to keep me out of the heat as much as possible. Which sadly means no more garage sales on Fridays and no more park visits (unless Justin takes Ian, which he said he will). I hate that I will miss that stuff, but I really don't want to go through that pain again. It was horrible!

I am for sure ready for this pregnancy to be over. I want Owen to be healthy though, so we will just pray that things go fast. After all there is just about 6 1/2 weeks left! Woo Hoo!

No comments: