Monday, May 24, 2010

Love conquers fear...

Lately I have been really convicted about staying open for opportunities that God is giving me. I say this not to brag on myself, because I am far from doing well at it, but to become more accountable to others. It is a tough thing stepping out and doing what God says, especially if it is to a stranger or someone you might be intimidated by. Believe me, I may be out going at times, but when it comes to sharing God's love I let that fear come on me like nothing else! For this reason I want to share with you a paragraph from the book Life on Purpose for Mothers. It is a devotional book, that to be honest I haven't been very consistent at doing, but I really enjoy the readings when I do. I hope that this encourages all of you as it did me this morning!

"In both 1 John 4 and 1 Corinthians 13, the word translated "love" is the Greek word agape, which refers to God's love. First Corinthians 13 gives us a definition of love and, therefore, a concise description of God. A deeper look at this definition helps us to better understand this weapon that will always conquer fear.

Perhaps the chapter's final description of love, found in 1 Corinthians 13:8, illustrates its power best: "Love never fails." According to Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, this means that love never "fall[s] overcome by terror or astonishment or grief or under the attack of an evil spirit or of falling dead suddenly." It never "perish[es], i.e come[s] to an end, disappear[s], cease[s]. It never "lose[s] authority, no longer having force." It is never "removed from power by death." Love never, ever stops under any condition whatsoever. It always was, always is and always will be. It is completely unchanging and unconquerable, because it is God himself.

This love, this powerful force that cannot be stopped, is the weapon that always conquers fear, and it resides in us because God's spirit resides in us. When the spirit of fear tries to enter our homes, we can kick it out in the name of Jesus. If we will continually invite into our homes the presence of Love Himself, Jesus Christ, we will be able to watch every fear melt away."
This was a great reminder that when Jesus died on the cross for us that was it, that is the love that conquered ALL fear! Why am I afraid when given an opportunity to share God's love then?

No comments: