Sunday, March 28, 2010

Esophageal obstruction...say what?

Pot Roast. I have been craving pot roast for about two weeks now. You know with brown gravy, mashed potatoes (of course with brown gravy) and green beans? Oh it sounded so wonderful! I had thought about making it, but since Justin doesn't really like it it would really be me eating the left overs. (Justin would have at least tried it the first meal) At this point I decided to see if there was a restaurant that served it. YES! Cracker Barrel does.

To make a long story even longer, we decided to invite my parents to lunch on Saturday and then after lunch they would take Ian for the afternoon while we went home to work on Ian's big boy room. We had seriously been praying that I wouldn't get too tired or weak or pregnancy sickness, so that we would be able to really work hard on the room.

Ok, back to the pot roast. I ordered mine and took the first bite. OH NO! I started choking. I headed to the bathroom and threw up what I could. I just didn't feel like it was all the way out. My mom came and checked on me and we headed back to the table so I could try and drink some water. Well it couldn't go down, so of course it came up. Thankfully I had grabbed a few paper towels from the ladies room and was able to throw up the water into that. Justin got me another napkin for my walk to the bathroom. Basically my family ate their lunch while I spent time in front of the toilet trying to get the roast beef out.

My mom came back and checked on me and said they were done and asked if I wanted to go to the doctor. I said yes. So they loaded up the car seat into their car and took Ian while Justin and I went to Mercy ER. They got me right in, which was nice. I hate having to wait in the ER waiting room, there are often some strange characters there.

The doctor came back to see me and immediately felt my throat area and said he would have to get a specialist in to push the food down my esophagus. I should mention, this was not how I wanted to spend my Saturday afternoon. I guess I should have added not choking to my prayer list.

They had to put me out, which I was glad they were able to do, because even with the heavy meds I still gagged during the procedure (says the doctor). I can't imagine how it would have been if I wasn't drugged up! I felt so much better when I woke up and couldn't believe it was over. They sent me home and told me to stay away from meats I have to cute with a knife (steak, roast beef, etc) , rice and bread and to eat soft foods for the next day or so. Once baby Owen is born I will follow up with the doctor and they will dialate my esophagus. I have to wait till I am done breast feeding though because they will use even stronger drugs to put me out for that procedure (at least this how I understood it).

So there you go! I am now paranoid about chewing like a million times before swallowing and can't feed my pot roast craving. I am super thankful for my wonderful husband and wonderful mom and step dad who were so willing to help during this time.

I think I might have had an anesthetic hangover this morning because I was so tired and had a headache all day. Needless to say we didn't get anything done to Ian's room. Oh well, God knew.

1 comment:

Erin said...

This is not what I had in mind when I wished you a Happy Saturday. ;c) I'm sorry this happened, but at least it was when Justin and your mom and step dad could help. I'm glad everything turned out okay.