Tuesday, December 22, 2009

birth control vs no birth control...

Obviously this is not an issue for me right now as I am with child. However, I was thinking the other day what is the answer. Does God want us to use birth control? I mean any form of it.

You see I was thinking, there isn't anything in the Bible about preventing pregnancy. No verse says "if thou knowest that thou is ovulating then thou shouldn't lay with thy husband". However, it does say in Psalm 127:3-5 (ESV)

3. Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. 4. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. 5. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.

So that brings me back to the question, is birth control (of any form) ok to use? Or should we just trust that God will know what we can handle and what we can't? Part of me feels like God gave us brains, we should use them. You know? Like if you know that financially you can not have children then perhaps you shouldn't have them. I mean the only true birth control is not "laying" with your spouse.

I found this on a website called www.quiverfull.com. I thought it was good. It might possibly be what I believe. The jury is still out on this though.

The bottom line is not about how many children one has, but about trusting God with all our hearts, souls and minds in ALL areas of our lives. If we are withholding one area, what other things are we holding back from His control? Jesus has asked us to come to Him with the simple faith of a child and merely put our trust in Him. Has he not shown us over and over that He can be trusted to do us good and not evil?


So tell me, what do you think? Is birth control (of any form) right or wrong, or does it depend on the person? Do you think that God would call some of us to use it and others to not? I am really interested in knowing what you think on this subject.


(a little side note: I do not promote sex before marriage. I do believe that God wants us to wait till we are married to have sex. I know that people make mistakes and God forgives. What an amazing God we serve!)

2 comments:

Squirly Girls said...

Scott and I have discussed this with others before and our feeling is that multiple children/no birth control is a calling. Just as the Bible says "Go into all the world and preach the gospel...", that does not mean that the only job everyone should have is to be missionaries in foreign countries. I believe that the verse you mentioned is to remind us to have a heart that sees children as a blessing when the world says they are a burden. As they get older and go through stages of rebelion it is a reminder to us again to see them the way God sees them as a blessing. I do not see this as a verse that gives direction on bc. I believe you will hear the call of your heavenly Father (clearly!)if that is what your family is being called to. For that very reason, I do not see how anyone could answer this question for you or anyone else. It has to be God directed. Pray about it. He will give you direction. That's just how I see it:)

Unknown said...

Interesting post! I do think each family needs to go to God and do what they feel He wants them to do, but I tend to lean to trusting in God for it all.

The interesting thing is that people assume that they will have lots of children if they don't use birth control. I personally know a family who doesn't use birth control and they do have 10 children (but aren't phased by it in the least!) and I know another family who didn't use birth control and had 3 children. My hubs & I stopped birth control years ago and only have 1 child, though we have tried very hard to have more. One of my doctors told me once that odds of a successful pregnancy for each conception aren't all that great - seems like he even said 50% (and they decline as you age). I also know people that have used birth control and got pregnant anyway! God can do anything!

Just thought I'd give that side of looking at things!