Wednesday, August 15, 2012

What I'm learning...

Recently the ladies in our FLOCK (aka Sunday School) started reading a book called 'Made to Crave'. It is really good and I am loving it so far. 

Something that I really like is the way she takes scripture and applies it to food our and our relying on it rather than God. 

Take for instance Esau in the Bible: (Genesis 25:29-33)

29 Once when Jacob was cooking stew, Esau came in from the field, and he was exhausted. 30 And Esau said to Jacob, “Let me eat some of that red stew, for I am exhausted!” (Therefore his name was called Edom.) 31 Jacob said, “Sell me your birthright now.” 32 Esau said, “I am about to die; of what use is a birthright to me?” 33 Jacob said, “Swear to me now.” So he swore to him and sold his birthright to Jacob. 

The author of the book brings up the fact that Esau was willing to give up something so wonderful and important for what would please him at that moment. 

How often do we do that.? How often do I do that? Yeah, the answer would be ALL THE TIME! I may not be giving up my birthright, but I am giving up time with my kids, meeting my weight goal. And those are just two things I can think of. 

Today (I almost said this week, but lets just take it one day at a time) I am going to write down what I eat and email it to a friend so she can keep me accountable. What are you doing to help you reach a goal? I would love to hear about it!

2 comments:

Liesl said...

Awesome, friend! I will continue to pray that God changes your life through this book (and mine, too, once I finally go get it, hehe) :) New beginnings, here we come! Love you!

April said...

I have always struggled with desserts. As soon as I am done eating a meal all I can think about is some sort of sugary, chocolate treat. This month I have decided to keep track and only allow myself 8 desserts. I think 2 a week is pretty reasonable. Food is always a struggle.