Monday, December 16, 2013

Till death do us part...

Today makes 7 years ago I said "I do" to an amazing man! I don't know what life would be like with out my wonderful husband Justin, but I do know that it would not be good.

I think so many people have such a distorted few of what marriage should be like. They see these romantic movies or read novels with amazingly written love stories in them and they think that is how their marriage should be. But the truth is that life is not a movie or a novel. We are all, by nature, selfish people.

Justin and I do not have a perfect marriage. We have had arguments, we have shed tears. I can even remember a time when I was so mad, I put Ian in the car and just drove for a while. I didn't know what I planned to do but I knew I didn't want to be in the same house as my husband. So, how did we get past these moments? Well here are the three things that I feel like have played the biggest part in keeping us together.

1. God. Justin and I both have a relationship with God and put God first. Knowing that the Bible only gives a few justified reasons for divorce, we have pushed through those hard times and have not given up.

2. The 5 Love Languages. This book has very much saved our marriage. I had no clue that there were different ways people show love until we read it. My love language is gifts and words of affirmation and Justin's is acts of service and quality time.  There are times when we are both right on top of it. I'm doing laundry, cleaning house and making dinner. Justin gets me flowers, leaves notes and tells me I'm beautiful. Then there are other times when we have just got used to the way things are going. Like recently, Justin has been doing the laundry and I just decided to let him. I hate laundry. But that is no excuse to stop filling Justin's love tank. We like to have a talk every now and then and ask each other how our "love tanks" are doing. I'm actually considering re-reading the book so I can get some more ideas on how to speak Justin's love language.

3. Communication. I think everyone can agree that this is a biggie! It is so difficult sometimes because I want Justin to just be able to read my mind and know what I want or know how I'm feeling. But he can not. And I can't read his either. They won't know what you don't tell them.

Now, you might be thinking that I have been focusing on the bad parts of marriage. But friends, these bad times, once worked through have led to the most beautiful of times, times where we lay on the bed and laugh, times where we cry. It really is wonderful and I couldn't imagine life with out my husband, good times and bad times. He is my earthly rock (God is my heavenly rock).

Here is a song we had sung at our wedding. I believe with all my heart that our story is the second greatest story ever told (the song says the greatest story, but we can't really compete with God loving us so much that he gave his son for us)! Happy Anniversary baby! I love you and respect you so much!



No comments: