Monday, November 1, 2010

Speaking of speaking love languages...

Have you ever read the book 5 Love Languages? It is really a must if you are married or even if you are single. There is even a 5 Love Languages for kids to help you understand your children's love language!

I firmly believe that this book saved my marriage. Now, when we read it we had only been married for about 4 or 5 months, so it is not like our marriage was bad. We were still in that "honeymoon" phase. I do believe, however, that by reading this book we avoided a lot of arguments and disappointments.

You see my love language is gifts and words of affirmation. Which means when showing someone that I care for/love them I often get gifts. I love shopping for gifts. I think it is one of my favorite things to do! To find that perfect gift for someone you love...ahh, it is just great.

Ok, now my husbands love language is acts of service and quality time. So when I built up what I thought was going to be the best Christmas gift ever, our first Christmas together, I was pretty disappointed with his reaction. Not to say he wasn't thankful for all of the effort and thought I put into his gift because I believe he was, but to him it was just a gift, it didn't say I LOVE YOU, like it did to me.

I would like to say that since my husband and I know each others love language that we always speak it and are constantly reminded of how much we love each other. Let's just say we are human. We make mistakes. We get tired, lazy, selfish, depressed and just plan worn out. So one way that my husband and I keep each other speaking our language is by asking if our "love tank" is full. Sometimes it is hard for me to realize that is what is wrong with me, other times I think I know right away.

Today I thought it was time to stop thinking of myself and speak to my husband. Now I know that he reads my blog (love you baby), but I will go ahead and share what all I have done today! I cleaned the kitchen (finished unloading the dishwasher and loaded it), washed bottles, and I have picked up a lot of the stuff that we had laying around in our dinning room, oh and started another load of laundry. I just hope I can finish it!

I love my husband so much and I never want him to forget that. Which is why sometimes we, as wives, have to get up off our lazy, needing a nap butts and show them that we care.

If you know your husbands love language have you spoke it lately? If you don't, let me know encourage you to go to the website 5lovelanguages.com and take the test to see what your love languages are or even better yet, get the book and read about how much it can help your marriage!

No comments: