Friday, July 24, 2009

birthday cake!!!

So I have decided that in order to have the birthday party that I want for Ian I am going to have to cut corners on certain things like cake and decorations. So I have currently cut out all the letters for a HAPPY BIRTHDAY banner and I practiced making a birthday cake last night for my girls night out! Now then, you may be thinking "why do you need to practice making a cake, you know how to make a cake?" Well it is not so much the cake I practiced with as it is the decorating. I had so much fun last night drawing a frog on this cake! I learned some valuable tips though... for instance, let the base icing dry as much as you can before filling in the frog with the green icing other wise it may mix and be more of a greenish whitish color. Also, for some reason what I meant to be black icing for the outline came out purple, so either the lids have been switched on my food coloring or I need to add a whole lot more color! I didn't mind though for my practice cake ;) Oh and I am going to try to make my own frosting next time. Also, my letters need some practice, especially the spacing of them. So with that being said anyone need a frog cake in the next few weeks that I could make for you as a practice? :) Here are my pictures....

2 comments:

Liesl said...

FYI...your "practice cake" was delicious!!! If that one was that good, I can't wait for the real one!! :)

Matt and Lacye said...

equal amounts of red/yellow/blue dye will make black.
i have a huge icing kit if you need to borrow any thing.