Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Kids cooking lessons 101...

Wow, I'm realizing that I have not kept up with my blog as much as I used to! I hope to get better at that because I really like to blog and write about what is going on, even if no one is reading it. 

My family and I are in the process of becoming a foster family! This process has been interesting to say the least! There is a lot that goes into becoming a foster family. But I know that in the end it will all be worth it!

Along with the paper work that you have to fill out you have to do training. So last week the hubs and I went to about a day and a half of training. It was long, but informative. I really think that all parents should take it every now and then just to be reminded of the things that you can do to help your kids! I got some good ideas on parenting my own kids in addition to foster kids. 

One of the things that we discussed was ways to incorporate your kids into your everyday activities (may have been worded differently). I don't remember if someone suggested this or if it just came to me when we were talking about it, but I decided to change things up with our dinner times! Instead of me just making dinner every night I would allow everyone, including the hubs, to pick a meal and I would teach them to make it! 

Last night was our oldest's night to chose a meal and make it. He picked Goldfish Mac N' Cheese.  I was so proud of him because he did so well! Usually he is reserved about the stirring and I am usually impatient with how slow he is. But I let him do it and he did really well. The only thing I helped him with was putting the pan of water on the stove top and then moving it to drain the noodles. He did the rest! He measured the milk and poured it himself and I showed him how to figure out how much butter he needed. He did really well! 

I can't wait for the other boys nights! Tonight the hubs is going to learn how to make hot dogs and salad. Friday night our youngest will learn how to make pizza! 

Usually Ian wouldn't hold the pan with one hand, but last night he did! So proud!

Little chef had to taste it before serving it to others.

It got a thumbs up! Good job Ian!



1 comment:

Liesl said...

So cute! Great job, Ian!!! But please, boys...stop growing up so fast! Love, Aunt Liesl :)

P.S. I am a big fan of you blogging lots again, too...just sayin'