Saturday, September 12, 2009

Yard work...

I have never really been into doing yard work. In fact I am pretty lazy when it comes to taking care of our yard. Of course last summer I was on bed rest so I had a good excuse for not going out and working on the yard. This summer I had a "new" baby so that worked pretty good as an excuse for a while.

I like to be needed. I like to take care of my husband and my son. Cooking dinner and changing diapers is my job and I love it! With that being said, I also like to have a break. I like to be close enough to home that if I am desperately needed I can come quick but far enough away that I can have some time too myself. Here is where the yard works comes into play.

It started with mowing the lawn. It is easy enough to do and doesn't take too long, but is enough time away from hearing an upset baby whimper because I can't hold him. I also enjoy the small work out that I get from mowing. It has become oddly enjoyable to me.

Last Monday (Labor Day) Justin and I worked in the yard together. This too was enjoyable. We set Ian out on a blanket and put up his "play area" gate and got to it. I worked on the over crowded flower garden, which should really at that time be called a weed/tree garden. It was so bad that by the time I was finished working outside I only had half the garden cleared! Today I finished clearing out the trees and weeds that had found there way into our small garden. I was so excited about the accomplishment that I asked Justin if we could go look for some flowers to put in it.

After a good lunch at Chick-fil-a and a trip to Mardel, which I bought two Lori Wick books. If you haven't read her books you need to, they are SO good. Ok, back to the yard. We ended up getting some plants called Lilyturf. I even planted them this afternoon! I enjoyed it so much. Who would have thought that a lazy women like me would end up enjoying yard work? Not I, I say, not I!


Before (we didn't really get a good before picture, but picture this all around the tree and that is what I was dealing with).


After! Looks amazing right? Well don't answer that if you think it looks bad ;)

1 comment:

Squirly Girls said...

That looks great! I too do the mowing. An Ipod Nano makes it so much more enjoyable. I feel the same way-- 45min of rocking out, mowing and no talking to 6 little ones-- that is a vacation to me:)